Very few people understand the term "disaster restoration". What are restoration services? What does a restoration company do? Here are the answers.
Disaster Restoration Companies are usually the first responders after significant damage has occurred in a home or business. From floods and fires to sewage backup and plumbing leaks, these disasters can cause major damage to your home or business. The job of a restoration company is to clean up the mess and preserve and protect the home or business and its contents so that further damage will not occur.
The Step by Step Process
1. After a major catastrophe, place a call to your insurance agent or other representative.
2. The insurance company will typically provide you with information about restoration companies in your area who will remove the water or soot left by fire damage in your home or office. Review your insurance policy an discuss any questions you may have with your insurance representative or claim adjuster. Not ALL cleaning and restoration services may be covered by your insurance policy, so check and see what is covered and what is not.
3. When the disaster restoration company arrives, thoroughly walk through your home and discuss the areas that need to be cleaned. Remember that even if your insurance company places the call to the Restoration Company, the Restoration Company works for you! You can CHOOSE the Restoration Company you want and you are not obligated to choose the company they recommend.
4. After the Restoration Company evaluates the work and equipment needed to clean your home or office, they will provide you with an estimate and a contract for their services. Read the contract carefully to make sure all the services discussed are listed. Your must sign the contract before the Restoration Company will begin work on your home. Most insurance claim settlements will cover the cost of the cleanup done. If your insurance claim is denied, your contract with the Restoration Company requires you to pay for their services.
5. Being in the home while it is being cleaned may not be required by your Disaster Restoration Company, but you, as the customer, must be satisfied with the work. In the days following the water damage or fire damage, you will be in frequent communication with the project manager overseeing the project. In the end, choose the company that you want to work with long term.
- Choose a well respected Disaster Restoration Company to clean your home, like BIOSWEEP SOUTHEAST.
- Ask if they are IICRC certified and have insurance.
- Read the restoration company's contract carefully and keep a copy for your records.
- If a problem occurs with the quality of work, contact your Disaster Restoration Company immediately.
- Know what your insurance policy requires you to do following a major loss.
- If you have insurance coverage questions, ask your claims adjuster for answers in writing.
- Response time is crucial to prevent further damage, including mold damage. Any delay, can lead to a much more costly recovery, salvage and reconstruction.
- Begin repairs to your home promptly following the clan up services.
- Identify a good restoration company BEFORE you have a major disaster incident.