If your home is affected by mold, you are probably having allergy symptoms like: runny nose, coughing or sneezing, sinus infections, ear infections, skin rashes and even asthma attacks! Because some people are more sensitive to mold than others, your symptoms could vary from one member of the family to another. Molds are usually not a problem outdoors, but can become a problem indoors because when mold spores land on a wet or damp surface, they begin reproducing rapidly and release allergens that get re-circulated inside your home. Mold can cause serious health problems to you and your loved ones, so it is important to follow the following guidelines to prevent mold growth inside your home:
1. Keep moisture levels at less than 60% inside your home. Areas that are often damp like a shower or bathroom need to have increased ventilation (such as a running fan) to prevent mold growth.
2. Dry any water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours of any water intrusion to prevent mold growth.
3. If you suspect mold is a problem in your home because you can visually see the mold growth or have a strong mildew smell inside your home, we recommend calling a company like BioSweep Southeast right away to provide you with a free mold inspection. BioSweep can clean up the mold, get rid of the excess water or moisture that is causing the mold growth, and get your home back to normal.
4. Fix any leaking pipes of plumbing issues immediately. Moisture and humidity are the main causes of mold growth in any environment. Fixing issues right away is the key to preventing mold growth.
5. Do not try to use over the counter cleaners for areas that are bigger than 10 square feet. These areas need to be treated by a professional mold remediation company like BioSweep Southeast. Keep in mind that absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, carpet and drywall that become moldy may have to be removed and properly disposed of.
6. If you suspect that the heating and air conditioning (HVAC) system may be contaminated with mold (if it is part of an identified moisture problem or you see mold near the vents or ductwork), call an HVAC company immediately to have the issue corrected and prevent further mold growth.
7. If the water and or mold damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, do not attempt to clean it yourself. You have to consult a professional company like BioSweep Southeast who has experience in cleaning and fixing properties damaged by contaminated water.
If you are having severe allergy symptoms, we also recommend contacting your local healthcare provider right away.